Water Balance and utilisation

In 2016, Mauritius received 3,536 million cubic metres (Mm3) of water from precipitation (rainfall), 20.2% lower when compared to 4,433 Mm3 in 2015. Only 10 % (353

Mm3) of the water went as ground water recharge, while evapotranspiration and surface runoff accounted for 30% (1,061 Mm3) and 60% (2,122 Mm3) respectively.

Total water utilisation was estimated at 961 Mm3 in 2016. Around 85% (814 Mm3) of the total water utilisation was met from surface water and the remaining 15% (147 Mm3) from ground water. The agricultural sector accounted for 37% (351 Mm3) of the water utilised, hydropower 35% (341 Mm3), and domestic, industrial and tourism sector 28% (269 Mm3). Compared to 2015, water utilisation decreased by 1.2%, from 973 to 961 Mm3 with changes as follows: hydropower (-5.5%); agriculture (+2.3%); and no change in domestic, industrial and tourism.

 

Leave a Comment